PAMOJA Baseline Survey

CCT Team before spreading into Kongwa villages for survey

CCT Team before spreading into Kongwa villages for survey

The baseline survey was conducted in January 2015 by means of household questionnaire, focus groups discussions and community meetings appraisals Blob Tree. The survey covered 10 villages of Kongwa District, Dodoma Region in Central part of Tanzania. The villages covered are Banyibanyi, Nyerere, Machenje, Chimotolo, Mautya, Ijaka, Laikala, Nguji, Sagara A and Sagara B. The survey reached a total of 1112 households and 904 community members. This article provides some findings of this baseline survey;

Each household by average consists of 5.6 persons. There are more females (52.2 percent) than males (47.8 percent) in the population sampled. Overall, 37.6 percent of the sample population has no education at all, 51.5 percent have primary education and 5.3 percent have reached secondary level. Only 0.6 percent of the sampled population have reached any college.

79.5 percent of the population are marginalized to be at the lower end of development. There are however, desires to achieve higher levels of development, a response given by 50 percent of respondents. Everyone almost desires to change to a better development level. The general income level of the population sampled indicates that 68.6 percent earn below Tsh.50,000/- per month (cash earnings), 24.8 percent earn just above Tsh.50,000/- but below Tshs.100,000/- and only 0.2 percent earn above Tsh.500,000/- per month.

There is a small number percent of 11.6 people who access credits and financial services. It is only 9.2 percent joined financial institutions while the rest 90.8 percent joined any credit group.

The level of skills, expertise and knowledge acquaintance is very low. It is only 12 percent of the respondents mentioned to get any training. This affects many other aspects of life; no improved farming, no innovation, no entrepreneurship and no marketing linkages. It is only 5.5 percentage point of respondents received trainings in credits and lending.

There is significant participation of communities in elections, leadership and opinion. 71.1 percent of sample population participated in the 2014 local government elections. Additionally, 46.9 percent participates in providing opinions and influence different local governments general decisions. Special groups however a provided with less privileges to participate in elections, leadership and opinions.

There exist a number of social problems 17 percent of household respondents were victims of different assaults ranging from beatings, abuse and segregation. 17.7 percent of participants are spouses, 8.1 percent are parents and 9.7 percent are relatives. The community contributes 50.8 percent of insults and segregations. Additionally, it is only 23 percent of the victims take actions after any of these insults and segregations.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply